How old was Shoto Todoroki when he first appeared?
How tall is Shoto Todoroki?
What color is his right eye?
What color is Shoto Todoroki's left eye?
What is Shoto's blood type?
Who is Shoto's father?
Who is Shoto Todoroki's mother?
Shoto Todoroki possesses heterochromia iridium. Which body part is affected by this?
What is Shoto's rank on the Quirk Apprehension Test?
What is his rank on the U.A. Sports Festival first-year stage?
When fighting against whom Shoto first used the "Heaven-Piercing Ice Wall" super move?
Shoto Todoroki has a scar on his right face. How did he get the injury?
What is Shoto's favorite food?
What student number is Shoto Todoroki in class 1-A?
When looking at midterm scores, where is his ranked?
What was Shoto's first hero costume like?
There are several ways to be accepted at U.A high school. In what ways can Shoto Todoroki become a student at U.A. high school?
If we sort the ages of students of class 1-A from the youngest to the oldest, where is Shoto's position?
Shoto Todoroki shares the same costume designer with one of the other students in his class. Who is the student?
How many brothers and sisters does Todoroki have?
Share your Results:
Shoto Todoroki is the tritagonist, as well as one of the major protagonists, both in the manga series and manga-turned-anime My Hero Academia.
He got into and studies at the U.A High School training by official recommendations, with the goal to become Pro Hero.
His father is the famous No.1 hero, Endeavor, and he is the youngest of three.
Even though he is the rival of Midoriya, he is also the second-best friend of him.
An In-Depth Guide into Shoto Todoroki Characters, Traits, and Abilities
The name ‘Shoto’ in kanji contains ‘burning’ and ‘fire,’ which means “to roar the roaring fire.”
Meanwhile, ‘Todoroki’ is a common surname in Japanese.
In the Japanese anime version, Yūki Kaji filled his voice, and in the English anime version, he is voiced by David Matranga.
The birth of Todoroki began with his father’s ambition – he wants to try creating children with marvelous strength of all heroes in the world.
In order to do so, Endeavor forces a woman name Rei who has an ice manipulation quirk to marry him.
He wants his children to possess both fire Quirk from him and ice Quirk from their mother.
He attempted several times, such as with Shoto’s older brother Touya.
Then Shoto was born, and fully knowing that he carries both Quirks from hid parent, Endeavor trains him to beat All Might.
Even though so, his mother tried to raise him normally and avoiding that kind of life his father wants.
Sadly, his mother is led to insanity due to the abuse from Endeavor.
She ended up calling the left side of Todoroki’s body as disgusting due to how much it resembles his father, and pouring hot boiling liquid over the left eye.
She’s been locked up by Endeavor since then. When Shoto knows that his father is at fault for making his mother went mentally unstable, he decided to oppose him – he wants to become a hero while leaving his fire Quirk as well.
Shoto Todoroki is a well-built young man for his age, with reasonably tall height and quite muscular body.
He has banged on his rather long hair, which parted in two in order not to disturb his vision.
His hair is also split between two different colors evenly: crimson red on the left side and white on the right.
His Quirk most likely causes this unordinary coloring.
As an addition, he also has different eyes’ irises colors – a condition called heterochromia iridium.
His right iris is on the dark brownish-gray color while the left appears to be in the turquoise shade.
On the left side of his face, Shoto owns a quite huge burn scar, expanding from the hairline to the cheek area.
Here is what he wears throughout the whole series:
- During school, he wears the standard male uniform of U. A school, but instead of the typical brown shoe, he wears casual gray and pastel cyan sneakers.
- For his first hero costume, he puts plain white shirt plus pants and boots in the same color. There are two gold straps on his shoulder. He also wears some ice-like material that covers the entire left side of his body. This material appeared to be detachable but carry the means to refute the fire Quirk of his.
- For the updated hero costume, he wears an elbow-length sleeve jacket in the color of dark blue. It has a high collar and gray neckpiece in the center part, with matching colored baggy pants, white boots, and metal-covered combat vests. There is also a utility belt around his front waist in brown color, which carries capsules for medical supplies.
- During school Spring break, the costume is upgraded and has more similarities to the second costume owned by Endeavor. The guards on his wrist are equipped with armor-like plating and bracing all the way to his knuckles. There is a substantial T-shaped stripe in his jackets, in the area between armpits and waist. The medical supplies are put in the large double canisters in his utility belt.
Originally, Shoto Todoroki is more like an aloof and cold person.
It might have stemmed from his complicated family background and the abusive upbringing that happened.
Being emotionally-distanced and study-focused, he much more prefers to be alone than hangs out with friends.
However, after the U.A Sports Festival Events, his personality gradually changed to be kinder and more friendly.
He occasionally smiles and gains a sense of humor, even though some parts of his old distant personality are surfacing at times.
He began to open up more to his classmates since the Provisional Hero License Course was held.
He can come off as quite dense to understand several speech figures sometimes, as he is not yet get used for socializing.
The best and most accurate way to describe Todoroki’s personality is a combination of solitary tendencies and moderate arrogance level.
Even if he’s reserved and quiet most of the time, he takes a few initiatives to show his confidence that he can overcome whatever obstacles with his strength.
This unapproachable personality still exists even at present times.
Yet, he has made an effort to do it only for practical purposes, so he won’t unleash his full power and hurt others.
He is versed with heroism ethics as well, although his composed and calm demeanor can turn to brutality during combat.
Being inherited, the fire Quirk from his abusive father makes Shoto possesses deep loathing over this power.
For him, it symbolizes how evil his father was towards him and his mother.
It reminds of what he was supposed to be as well, a mere tool to defeat All Might.
In combats, Todoroki always prefers to use his ice Quirk and never use the fire one.
It’s proven by his effort in the first Hero Costume to cover his left arm and torso by ice.
This acts as the rebellion symbol against the father.
Meanwhile, when his sister, Fuyumi, fears his father but tries to get along, she doesn’t resent him like the other brothers.
The Power and Skills
As Todoroki has been trained from such an early age by Endeavor, he entered U.A High School without problems.
He is even deemed as one of the most influential students in Class 1-A.
In both U.A Sports Festival and Quirk Apprehension Test, he is succeeded to earned 2n place.
The exceptional dual capabilities that he owns, Half-Cold Half-Hot, establish him with powerful and versatile Quirk.
Todoroki can lower temperatures drastically by using the right side of his body.
It allows him to freeze anything that he touches instantly, such as a whole building or a high wave of ice in no time.
What makes him incredible is the excellent control and direction despite the extraordinarily raw power.
He can direct the precision of attacks to freeze only particular parts of the target or prevent the ice from freezing someone fatally.
He has the ability to cover the enemy’s territory with ice while avoiding it from getting from his way, even when fighting in allies with others.
Meanwhile, on the left side of his body, Todoroki can increase temperatures drastically.
He can release hot searing flames.
Initially, the whole blaze will cover the left side of his head and arm when he ignites the fire, but after his costume is upgraded, it only ignites on his hand.
It displays more control and commands over the temperature on his left side. Now, he could shoot safe short waves or consuming fire streams of it.
To support himself, Todoroki is capable of molding ice into some shapes, such as elevating stairs, moving ice waves to surf, or protective barriers.
The mobility options also exist regarding this Quirk, such as freezing ground to skate over or stacking pieces of ice to boost himself forward.
Here are the lists of Todoroki’s skills:
- Enhanced stamina – even being on injuries such as suffering from multiple bleedings on the face and arm areas, he still appears with the ability to endure combat, where he will keep on fighting and support his allies.
- Enhanced durability – he has proven to be highly resilient. On a fight with Izuku “Deku” Midoriya, Todoroki can resist against multiple attacks without getting significant injuries.
- Enhanced agility – he is agile and fast, as well as having excellent reflexes. Shoto’s athletic ability is what makes him reach first place on most sport festival events like Obstacle Race. Although facing a notably agile contender like Stain, he is still able to dodge against various attacks or a knife thrown at the direction of his face.
- Sharp intellect – Todoroki is a highly intelligent character. In terms of academic area, he has scored as the 5th place students during midterms despite having to train.
- Flame wall – the left side of his body is capable of generating a burst of fire to smother massive area. Just like the Giant Ice Wall technique, this is both an offensive and defensive type of ability. It lets Shoto create distance between himself and the target, as well as attacking several opponents at once. This attack is used for the first time to battle Tetsutetsu from Class 1-B during Joint Training Battle. Tetsutetsu_Tetsutetsu can turn his body into steel. But when fighting Todoroki, he was overwhelmed because the heat released by his opponent over time made the steel in his skin melt.
- Giant Ice Wall: Todoroki can produce a vast-scale ice glacier. It can either block the direct battlefield in ice or encapsulate the opponent he’s currently facing. This technique doesn’t have a name at first, though it has been used on a battle to fight Hanta Sero during Sports Festival – at least not until the Final Exams. He admitted that the method was way stronger than necessary to Sero. However, in his defense, he got irritated by talking to his father first, which cause him to overdo it. This move has several variations, including the reoccurring massive ice wall during the attack to Mr. Compress. The other is a smaller but more controllable one. This is presented during a battle to fight Katsuki.
- Flashfreeze Heatwave: this move requires Todoroki to lower the temperature of the air around him then heat it rapidly. He must use both of his powers (ice and fire) to generate this technique.
In conclusion, Todoroki owns a tremendous amount of power.
However, he neglects half of his Quirk due to past circumstances and decisions, so he has yet to reach full potential.
His fire control is relatively inept compared to his ice mastery.
One of his other weaknesses is the overuse of ice Quirk without using the fire one due to his hesitancy caused by the lousy relationship with his father.
This causes his body temperature to fluctuate on dangerous levels.
Unlike Endeavor, Todoroki is not a character that fancy flashiness when it comes to equipment.
However, he does have specific useful stuff, as a few listed below:
- Combat vest – it is located on the back of Shoto’s body. It is a device that allows him to sense his body temperature and doing cooling down or heating up based on the condition. The original costume that he owns is requested to have a heated-up feature.
- Temperature resistant jacket – the blue jacket worn by Todoroki is created from a unique fiber material with the fire-resistant property. It also supports his vest to regulate the body temperature by using the sensing device around his neck.
- Utility belt – there is a first aid kit contained in a metal capsule that placed on Shoto’s belt. It includes disinfectants, pain medication, and water.
- Wrist guards – the new wrist guards that come with costume upgrading, is created from the identical material as Todoroki’s vest. They have been shown to help him control flame and ice temperature produced by his body so both won’t reach extreme temperatures.
- Snow boots: Todoroki owns a pair of boots in the color of white snows. They have spikes under the soles part to prevent him from slipping over his ice. Later in the upgraded version, these straps are set on the front part of the boots.
Overall, Todoroki is a My Hero Academia character with complexity, mostly due to the emotional conflict in his heart.
He has the potential to become an amazing hero, but his feelings towards his father make him more like an anti-hero.
During times, he continually tries to find and position himself in the heroes and villains’ world, to choose who he wants to become.